Mar 11 - Eastern Spice, Irthlingborough

Who would have believed at the turn of the 3rd millennium there would be such a fight for the top spot at the mission curry club - well the heat is on.The M.C.C. went to Eastern Spice in Irthlingborough and it's a pleasure to be the collateral damage in this war, (well I'm running out of rennies)!

Let me explain, with only .03 of a mark between Cafe Bangla and Eastern Spice that is close! It's not a perfect system of marking, and it is very subjective, but that's the joy of it, it's what we individually think, collectively.

So to the evening. It was a cold night, and we had to park some distance away - therefore it was a pleasant surprise that a warm curry house awaited us. A very small foyer (double doors, to keep in heat, good idea) was let down by the fact that two big men and fluff (the shorty one) were almost trapped in there ( I could imagine Paul and I having to hold fluff above our heads so we could open the second door as the first had closed behind us).

Eastern Spice has recently been decorated to a modern contemporary design, a well stocked bar to your left as you enter,and again we were sat at one long table, this is fine but if you sit in the middle you won't hear what is being talked about at the ends.

Thursday is their normal banquet night. Any starter, any main, any side dish between two, (I found that really annoying), rice or nan, coffee.£8.95.

I had momo to start very nice, made a wrap with the flaky bread and momo, and made a mess over me. Still that's what washing machines are for. Then Murgh Dil Bahar, yummy until a green chili would have vaporised my tonsils if I had any, this for me, just made it better. Now to the side dish. Colin was looking at me as if to say, we can share a side dish. OK let me explain, I don't like vegetables and I now I hear Colin say some thing about cauliflower AH! Quickly I buddy up with Paul and say "Ian likes cauliflower Colin". Haven't a clue if he does or not, as long as I don't have to eat something I don't like.(Child hood story). Paul and I had Chana Masala.

The coffee at the end was good, but if you want a cup (may have been pot can't remember) of tea be prepared to take out a bank mortgage, £1.90 wow U.C.B.S.

Now to the chat, as I have said I was in the middle of the table, so I can only refer to the things said around me. Fluff had to get out new phone to phone wife. Really bad etiquette, just showing off. But a big discussion about Rushden and what's going on with the town, i.e. what is moving into the Oakley pub? Possible relocation of reptile shop, more wild life along Wellingborough road. And what's going on along Bedford road, car park, flats, shop, all were suggested. Not to mention Tescos. I think people had a positive feel about changes, like a least something is happening in our town ,but we need infrastructure on the housing estate on Bedford road.

One story was a man who complained that his son insured his car for £180. Now to me that sounds rather cheap, and therefore worrying. Perhaps because of the gaiety of the evening, or that he is now retired (and brain goes sleepy byes) Keith tried to order Bamboo Aloo (this was obviously a side dish for him and his Panda).

Colin eventually gets his meal, this is not to say that we were waiting for food, no the service was very good, just that Colin saw everybody else eating and WHERE WAS HIS FOOD?

Restaurants were mentioned, Wagamama, Rat n Parrot, all in MK.

Must say about Tom's birthday, happy 18th Tom. A big event in the M.C.C. Tom can now buy US a drink YES!! His mum got him a Top Gear cake ah. Stig on top ah.

So all in all a very good evening. I should just say that Tony and I had a long talk about voting system that we have. Although I can't agree with him he may have a point.

Next time at the Chapel I think, so those who like to eat Chinese, fish and chips or any of the food outlets that are around the church would have a chance of coming. No excuses not to be social!!

One final point .... the score, wait for it ...... a brilliant 23.72!!!
Bye, Bill the organiser